Send us a suggestion!

Affordable Canyoneering Courses

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by NickD, Mar 30, 2016.

1. NickD

NickD

Hi everyone, my name's Nick and I'm new to the group.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on affordable canyoneering courses in the U.S. Maybe even ones where I can knock everything out all in a row. I just want to learn how to canyoneer respectably and make some friends to go with.

By the way, the similar threads tool on this site is awesome!
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Where is home base for you? We need a location before making a recommendation on who's class is the best.
  3. NickD

NickD

Colorado, but I'm able to travel, that's why I didn't specify.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

NickD, townsend and Canyonbug like this.
  5. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Isn't there a meetup group near you?

Ha ha....
    Bootboy likes this.
  6. NickD

NickD

Hey thanks Ratagonia! The information is very much appreciated. Very good links.

Brian in SLC, no I don't seem to.
  7. rick t

rick t

would second the Steve Morga recommendation, he lives in CO and teaches in Moab. Would caution you about the "knock off everything all in a row" concept. You are underestimating the amount of new information involved. Steve follows the ACA curricula, last I knew, which is 3 different classes, of three days each. And along with a ton of new information you need time and experience in the field to learn and understand not just the concepts and techniques in the class, but how and when to use each on in the canyon. It takes some time to absorb everything, and then to learn their applications and limitations. Don't be in too big a hurry, this is not an overnight or short term process, there is a learning curve, and penalty points involved.
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I second rick's post, the level 1 course is really all you need to get started going with other groups. The other 2 courses have a lot of great info, but most of it pertains to harder canyons and for being a canyon leader which you shouldn't be doing any way until you have some experience.
    Jared Robertson and ratagonia like this.
  9. Mountaineer likes this.
  10. townsend

townsend

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  11. Canyonero

Canyonero

I'd agree with taking an entry level course and then beg, borrow, and steal your way onto trips with experienced folks. Be a joy to be around, bring tasty food, own a 300 footer or other piece of gear that not everyone has, get a hard to get permit are all great ways to get invited and reinvited to go with experienced folks. Show up at FreezeFest and I bet you meet a lot of experienced hard core folks to canyoneer with. I don't think they've left anyone in the Black Hole yet.

Remember that those folks taking the introductory class with you aren't any more experienced than you are (see recent Key Hole catastrophe.)
  12. NickD

NickD

I decided on Ouray's Ice Festival for my introductory training. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

I hope you mean the Canyon festival, and that you mean concurrent with...

Ice Climbing has surprisingly little to do with Canyoning technique.

During a Festival, there is very little training that occurs, other than going on trips with new people, which is very different than taking a formal training course.

Tom
  14. Ash123

Ash123

I'm looking for courses closest to the Mississippi area.