Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion A Very Chilly Pine Creek - Feb 10, 2013

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by ratagonia, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Finally, a storm brought moisture upon us, in the form of snow, after a two week warm spell. First time since New Years - not the best timing, however, as Ram was just blowing into town. Kip had proposed snowmobiling up to Chamberlain's Ranch and descending The Narrows as his final Zion blast before he moves his family to The Big Apple for a few years, but a bit of snow made that untenable. They did Englestead instead, and it was divine, but kinda long in the snow and cold and short days of February.

I declined The Narrows and thus also the Englestead venture. But was given front for the next day, when Dean Kurtz would be joining us, if he could find a babysitter. We considered Spry, but ended up choosing Pine Creek as the best available given current conditions. Dean's babysitter fell through, but he brought his two wonderful boys down to <a href="http://deepcreekcoffee.com/" target="deep"><b>Deep Creek Coffeehouse in Springdale</b></a> to have breakfast and socialize with Ram and Jenny. And by default, me too.

febpine02.

Dean gave us a car shuttle (thank you Dean) and snapped our picture as we entered. We dropped down into the snow under the bridge, and finished suiting up. We used the SAR anchors to rappel into the pool before the "first rappel", and immediately found out how well we had dressed (well enough, but still). The ramp up to the first anchor was snowy AND icy - Jenny crawled up this on-belay. And off we went!

Pine Creek was very full of water, but also full of sand, so many of the pools were less-deep than expected. But it was really cold in there, especially with the snow and ice making our progress slow and careful. Fingers and toes became slow and stiff. Not many pictures were taken, and I certainly did not take the time to make adjustments, given the difficult light. At the end, we tossed a big sling around the top of the rock, rather than try to climb up the slab to get to the bolted anchor. We took the upper trail out as hopping down the boulders in the streambed would have been both difficult and dangerous. A big burger at Oscar's, and an extra sleeping bag on the bed that night and... well, really, I'm STILL cold!

febpine03. febpine04.
    febpine05. febpine06.

featured image for the homepage
    slide.

Attached Files:

• febpine01.
      Filename:
      febpine01.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Jon Messina

Jon Messina

I did Pine Creek in the summer and froze...:cold:

But that looks awesome.
    blueeyes likes this.
  3. blueeyes

blueeyes ephemeral excursionist

You three are insane! Love it.

Chere'
  4. Joe Braun

Joe Braun Dusty Landscaper

Love that crazy first pic! Smiles help keep you warm!
  5. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

What Joe said - what a fun shot of beautiful popsicle people...
  6. Judy Seybold

Judy Seybold

Br-r-r-r-r! Looks like fun, but different:)
  7. Nick

Nick ---

Looks like a blast! Thinking that might be a good usage of the new 7mm suit picked up at the DI! :)
  8. Ram

Ram

Here are the pictures from the day. To make room in my pack, I took out the steaming thermos of hot chai tea and failed to put it back in. It was missed. Due to the amount of water, the raps coming one after the other, the gray breezy day and the snow which created the need for additional caution, it was a COLD day in Pine Creek. TJ and friends followed the next day I here. TJ, any pictures any pictures from your passage?
    Ram

Impossible to find the RSS link
    ratagonia and blueeyes like this.
  9. TJ Cottam

TJ Cottam Adventure Plus