Send us a suggestion!

News A New Canyon Shoe - FitWell Aquator/Chameleon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Sep 26, 2020.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

My buddy Jonathan Zambella made a connection with a UK boot maker a couple years ago, and has been using their boots in his Rental Program since. It’s complicated, so stay with me here. The goal is to bring a USA version “Chameleon” of the European boot “Aquator” to the USA starting Spring 2021 - might have a few Nov 1, 2020. I have some Aquators on sale now at a very good price - suitable for canyons that are not Utah sandy canyons.

Description

They are a lightweight boot. The bottom is very solid and not very flexible. This can be annoying if the boot does not fit you, but they fit my wide feet very well. I have an issue with Morton’s Neuroma so I wear special footbeds to help with that, and the combo works very well. The uppers are cloth and flexible, in a good way. They cover the ankle bones and offer some support, but do not get in the way of using your ankles. They are about as thick as two layers of the Converse AllStars upper. They lace up, and mine stayed laced. (Actual production laces may be different). On my protos, the laces got munched going through the eyelets, so that was changed and the laces are now protected. On my protos, reinforcements at the side just above the sole got munched where sewn on, and this has been improved so it will not be a problem. They do get sand in them to a moderate degree.

The rubber is not sticky 5.10 stealth, but it is not bad. There are a few pure friction moves I used to do that I no longer can, but I have done some hard stemming in them, and they work just fine. The sole shows almost no wear in a year and a half.

The fit is really good. I know feet vary in shape, and perhaps these just fit my feet perfectly. Could be. The sizing is spot on… meaning, when I measure my feet with the Brannock device, I get a “10”. When I try on a “10” with one pair of Darn Tough Heavy Hikers, they fit like a glove… which is too tight for canyoneering. So I moved up to a 10-1/2, and they FitWell for canyons. (I might snag a pair of 11s for winter use).

LONGER AND MORE SALES-ORIENTED VERSION OF THIS ON THE LATEST RAVE

Fitwell01.
    Fitwell04.
    Ram, Yellow Dart and Austin Farnworth like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

BIG FOOT CANYONEERS TAKE NOTICE...

Jonathan has given me some rather large Fitwell canyon boots to sell at a good price. Here is the item on the Canyoneering USA Store.

Chammy01 1200.
    Ram and hank moon like this.
  3. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

They're cushy, comfy, and super sticky.
    Ram and Kevin like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Let's not get too carried away. To former-climbeers like me, "super sticky" has a specific meaning, that these soles do not fall within. The rubber is reasonably sticky, but definitely not stealth. Just to be clear.

Tom
    Kevin and Ali Miller like this.
  5. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Uuuugh. My Hydro Laces were stolen out of my car this fall. They're not available anymore. :(:inpain:

Just let me have this one, man.

Edit: I live in a city and really hope I see someone wearing my canyon-abused boots around the streets someday. :rofl:
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Ram likes this.
  6. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

I do think they're stickier than the beloved TX3s.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

How are they for wide feet?
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have wide feet and they fit me quite well.

My return policy on these shoes is quite generous, so people are welcome to order, try them on, decide if they will work. Return for full refund - you are out the return shipping. (My usual return policy is pretty soft, but we do not usually refund the outgoing shipping expense).

Tom
    Kevin likes this.
  10. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Give us an idea of size...outside having to use some device to measure our feet (that we don't own).

I'm a euro 46 in La Sportiva (nearly every model at least of the running and approach shoes). Would I get a 12.5 in these?

What are the euro sizes in stock? I'm guessing that 12.5 is a 46?

Ali, how do they fit for you compared to your approach shoe size (especially the beloved TX3...which I own 2 pairs of)?

How do they compare to the Adidas Hydro (of which I have a pair of the Pro's)? More or less stickier? How do they hike compared to the Hydro?

Cushy and comfy? I like the sound of that. How are they for longer distances?
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

Good questions...

1. The size UK 11 is marked as 46. UK 11 = USA 12.

2. No Brannock Device in your tool kit? What size running shoe do you wear? that is likely to be pretty close.

3. For my feet, the size that was the same as my Brannock size proved to be a perfect dress shoe size. Add half a size for hiking w Wool Sock. Add another half size for using a thick neoprene sock. My Merrill everyday shoes and Saucony runners are both 10-1/2 (USA). My Chammy's are 9.5 UK, 10.5 US. My foot measures as 10 USA.

4. Unless you are swinging by Mt Carmel, I am fully aware there might be some back and forth on sizing. Part of the game. The proposed agreement on these shoes is, I can keep sending you sizes at my expense. You return shoes at your expense. Hopefully it would take at most one adjustment.

4b. if you decide it is not going to work for you, send them all back and I will give you a full refund. Except for your shipping.

5. I did a grand canyon two night overnight (without getting the feet wet) and was the only person not having foot issues.

6. I would not call them cushy and comfy. I reserve that for the first run on a new pair of runners. You can determine that somewhat by your choice of footbeds, as they do not come with footbeds.

Tom