Send us a suggestion!

A Brief History-Some Oldies and Goodies

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Jenny, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Jenny

Jenny

I am giving thanks (this Thanksgiving week) by clearing out my packed garage.
    I came across these oldies and goodies.

I am hoping that others will post photos of what is hiding in the dark recesses of their gear rooms.

It is so indicative of how quickly Canyoneering has evolved that tools and techniques from just 10 years ago are now outdated and "old"?

Honest attempts to prevent rope grooves, early rappel devices and a few prototype Fiddlesticks:

IMG_1177.

Tom, remember the aluminum tent pole Fiddlestick (the Fiddlestick of Death)?

This is the first prototype of the original, Aguanchor. It was designed to tie into the Sandtrap.

IMG_1176.

We've come a looooooooong way, baby!
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. Ram

Ram

And that water anchor prototype, invented by Jenny, sparked much of the progress. We used to hold off on explorations and even established canyons, after storms, like the one this week. Now? No hesitation. Thanks to you and everyone else that moved" the sport forward.
    For those that may have not seen this
    Ali Miller, 2065toyota and ratagonia like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

I do. Thankfully, the bad idea that did NOT catch on.

T
    Jenny likes this.
  4. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Didn't know Gorging content existed outside of that which was on the bluray. Is it an ongoing project?
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

Here is one of the first "real" rope pads (not counting carpet remnants) used. A friend made them from old canvas/rubber firehose, a product ahead of its time. They were indestructible. I still have a couple of them in the salvage bin - use them when the occasion is right.
    IMG_2922-COLLAGE.

What I don't have but wish I did, is one of the very first rappelling devices I cut my teeth on (google image below). The bluff at RR bridge #19 - 45' (circa 1970).
    download.
    Ali Miller and Jenny like this.
  6. DFS

DFS

Hi Yellow Dart - regarding Gorging, we posted a bunch of random extra bits on our Gorging webpage - https://gorgingmovie.com/video/

Nothing new, but definitely some fun stuff on there.

Brian O
    ratagonia, Ali Miller and Yellow Dart like this.