Send us a suggestion!

A Breath Day Story for my Clan

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Jenny, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Dan

Dan Guest

Beautiful.

I wondered if I would ever get a chance to see it completely written, and remember you joking with me that you would publish it as a trip report that happened as if it was yesterday, and see if anyone on the group caught on. I like this version even better. It was worth the wait. Loved it.

And to be fair, I don't quite remember the exchange about my mother's birthday the same way in Fence Canyon... Wasn't I nicer? Or is Tom wearing off on me? :)

But you are right, for some reason ages and birthdays mean little to me, and they are often forgotten. I promise not to tell anyone you are my mother's age. But I might tell people that you and I both went to the same junior high school.

Go Ligers!
  2. stefan

stefan Guest

On Dec 1, 2010, at 5:22 AM, Jenny wrote:

> OK, you scamps. I have been pounding away at the keyboard, well past my bedtime. 'Trying to make a deadline (Nov. 30) on a promise made to myself and a friend. I'm two hours late. I click onto Yahoo Canyon group to see that several of you have been talking about me! Hope this doesn't mean that you won't talk about me at FreezeFest? Nice surprise, though. Thanks for your b-day wishes. To you all, I get even with this long tale ( which lost all the fonts and subtle characters...oh well. I do hope you enjoy it.
    > OF PITS AND PENDULUMS ...

just a wonderful read, jenny! many many thanks for sharing this and the blend of past and present is delightful.

this line made me laugh:

"... helmets, full wetsuits, elbow pads, knee pads, specialized shoes, neo everything, gloves, new descending devices, tiny light ascending devices, biner blocks, single strand rappels off of pencil thin static rope, resetting rope lengths, rope bags and (gulp) the Death Knot used as a standard for joining ropes"

and i enjoyed this ...

"Maybe this short little water carved passageway had held us captive. Had worked us to our limits. Testing us with graduated scales of challenge. Luring us on with its beauty and our lust. Then had it allowed our escape? Did it names us as we will it? Would it be an honorable name? Did we earn it? Would it mock us as insignificant migrant creatures passing through its complex corridors teaming with life. Delicately balanced systems. Had we done any permanent damage in our passage? I hoped with all my heart we had not."

"Even as we begin to plan the next trip, we speak of this one with deep humility and reverence. What was there to talk about? What would we say?"

wonderful stuff, an honor, thanks!

stefan