Send us a suggestion!

8mm accessory cord and rapping?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by kriemondy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kriemondy

kriemondy Guest

I need a second rope for potential bailing off a long climbing route. Is it safe to do double rope raps with a 10mm dynamic tied to 8mm accessory cord? Would it be safer to just block off the 10mm and single rap the 10mm, using the 8mm accessory cord as a pull cord? Thanks for your advice.
  2. As a newbie to canyoneering I would expect that your hardware would match 8mm or 10 mm but do poorly trying to match both.

Keep It Simple and Safe (KISS) , use a descender that matches 10mm IF you insist on carrying 10mm and 8mm.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kriemondy" <kent@...> wrote:
    I need a second rope for potential bailing off a long climbing route. Is it safe to do double rope raps with a 10mm dynamic tied to 8mm accessory cord? Would it be safer to just block off the 10mm and single rap the 10mm, using the 8mm accessory cord as a pull cord? > Thanks for your advice. >
  3. kriemondy

kriemondy Guest

Thanks for the reply. Well I am not concerned about the descender, I have experience with rapping 8mm single and with 10mm together. My concern is the accessory cord, can it work for a rap line in a pinch or should i just use it as pull cord?

Anyone have experience rapping accessory cords? I do understand that the manufacturers do not recommend this...but anyone have some experience they wouldn't mind sharing?

I made a mistake of rushing out to get some rope for a climb this weekend and I didn't realize there was difference between accessory cord and static rope. So now I have 200 ft of 8mm cord...

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kiwi_outdoors" <kiwi_outdoors@...> wrote:
    As a newbie to canyoneering I would expect that your hardware would match 8mm or 10 mm but do poorly trying to match both.
    Keep It Simple and Safe (KISS) , use a descender that matches 10mm IF you insist on carrying 10mm and 8mm.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kriemondy" <kent@> wrote:

I need a second rope for potential bailing off a long climbing route. Is it safe to do double rope raps with a 10mm dynamic tied to 8mm accessory cord? Would it be safer to just block off the 10mm and single rap the 10mm, using the 8mm accessory cord as a pull cord?
    Thanks for your advice.
    >
  4. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

I need a second rope for potential bailing off a long climbing > route. > Is it safe to do double rope raps with a 10mm dynamic tied to 8mm > accessory cord? Would it be safer to just block off the 10mm and > single rap the 10mm, using the 8mm accessory cord as a pull cord? > Thanks for your advice. >

Rope is round stuff made for life-safety applications, that you can rap on.

Cord is round stuff made for other stuff, but not made for rapping.

8mm Accessory cord tends to be "big enough" to be strong enough to rap on, but it also tends to be stretchy and not too tough. Hard to say, because the term "Accessory Cord" covers a lot of territory, and some of it MIGHT be worthy of consideration of rapping on.

You COULD take an 8mm canyoneering ROPE to use as a backup and rappelling line. Or you could take a 6mm canyoneering PULL CORD to use as a pull cord, just in case. Depends on how much capability you are looking for, versus how much weight you are willing to carry.

Cords of different sizes and/or characteristics tend to run through a rappelling device at different rates, unless you make an effort to keep them flowing the same. Gotta watch it. Since you are familiar with the technique (it sounds like), probably easier to just block and rap on the big rope, single line, and use the pull cord to pull the cord.

Tom
  5. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Back when I was young an naive, I bought a 300' length of Beal 8mm accessory cord, and it got used for the last rap in Heaps, exactly twice. It is in my garage, getting used to tie lumber onto the station wagon and stuff like that. It is very stretchy, and not very tough, and scary as hell to rap on. Compared to my Imlay 8.0 mm rope, it has a LOT less material (ie, it is loosely woven, vs. tightly woven for a 'hard style' static rope).

Mr. Hull was rapping on a well-used 8mm accessory cord last summer in the Sierra, for the first 80' of a 100' rappel. Thankfully, he is a tough nut to crack, and there was water to land in, mostly.

Thus, would recommend agin' it.

Tom

Thanks for the reply. Well I am not concerned about the descender, I have experience with rapping 8mm single and with 10mm together. My concern is the accessory cord, can it work for a rap line in a pinch or should i just use it as pull cord?
    Anyone have experience rapping accessory cords? I do understand that the manufacturers do not recommend this...but anyone have some experience they wouldn't mind sharing?
    I made a mistake of rushing out to get some rope for a climb this weekend and I didn't realize there was difference between accessory cord and static rope. So now I have 200 ft of 8mm cord...
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kiwi_outdoors" <kiwi_outdoors@> wrote:

As a newbie to canyoneering I would expect that your hardware would match 8mm or 10 mm but do poorly trying to match both.

I need a second rope for potential bailing off a long climbing route. Is it safe to do double rope raps with a 10mm dynamic tied to 8mm accessory cord? Would it be safer to just block off the 10mm and single rap the 10mm, using the 8mm accessory cord as a pull cord?
    > Thanks for your advice.
  6. kriemondy

kriemondy Guest

Tom, Thanks for the stories and information. I suspected the rope was bunk. Luckily the employee who sold me the cord was as inattentive as me as he rung me up for only 100ft of cord instead of 200, with a 10% bulk order discount...

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    Back when I was young an naive, I bought a 300' length of Beal 8mm accessory cord, and it got used for the last rap in Heaps, exactly twice. It is in my garage, getting used to tie lumber onto the station wagon and stuff like that. It is very stretchy, and not very tough, and scary as hell to rap on. Compared to my Imlay 8.0 mm rope, it has a LOT less material (ie, it is loosely woven, vs. tightly woven for a 'hard style' static rope).
    Mr. Hull was rapping on a well-used 8mm accessory cord last summer in the Sierra, for the first 80' of a 100' rappel. Thankfully, he is a tough nut to crack, and there was water to land in, mostly.
    Thus, would recommend agin' it.
    Tom
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kriemondy" <kent@> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kiwi_outdoors" <kiwi_outdoors@> wrote:

Thanks for your advice.