Send us a suggestion!

6 days, 6 canyons - Trip report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by knott3d, Sep 16, 2019.

1. knott3d

knott3d

We were in Zion for 6 days and did 6 canyons. Here is a summary of them all.

Day 1 - Birch Hollow: Bone Dry, all anchors in good shape. Ran in to a couple that didn't have enough rope. Seems to be a common occurrence in Birch. Helped them out and then used the WWH exit. Steep hike but the trail is well defined and I preferred it over the slog up Orderville.

Day 2 - Telephone: Bone Dry, a couple of the bolts are about a quarter inch pulled out of the rock but seemed to be secure, all webbing in good shape. People have piled a bunch of smaller rocks on top of the large rock at the first rappel and there is 4 different pieces of webbing around the rock. I don't know if all of that was necessary. 3 of the 4 pieces of webbing looked to be in good shape.

Day 3 - Mystery: Finally got a permit for mystery. Awesome canyon. Everything in good shape. Dry until the spring.

Day 4 - Mystery again: As luck would have it we got a permit for both days that we applied, and since it was supposed to be an off day anyway we figured mystery is easy enough to do it again and count it as an off day. I was able to avoid the first swimmer at the bottom of the 110' rap by climbing to the RDC of the pool on small handholds. Its probably a 5.10 maneuver and pretty sketch cause you have to feel out rope and if you slip you are going to swing back into the wall, hard. Plus you will be getting wet a few minutes after anyway.

Day 5 - Pipe Spring: It was our 3rd time doing pipe string and the first time we have seen water flowing in it. I am guessing the water comes from the pipe spring which wasn't capped. Anyone know? I thought it was supposed to be capped because it got contaminated. Otherwise I don't know where the flowing water would have come from...? Otherwise all anchors in good shape.

Day 6 - Lodge: Bone dry, all anchors in good shape and extended properly. I added webbing around a chockstone half way down the 2nd rappel because our rope kept getting stuck on the pull. We noticed once we finished the last rappel that there is a rope coming down the 360'+ watercourse exit. Looked like someone rapped it, and then got their ropes stuck on the pull. The rope was cut like 15 feet up from the ground but still looked like 500+ feet of rope hanging there. I didn't think anyone actually rapped down the watercourse. Hmmmm. If anyone goes through soon maybe grab those ropes, they are probably visible from the road.

Overall a great trip and we had a blast. The last rap out of Lodge is amazing and highly recommended.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Awesome, thanks.
  3. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Reading your post, i was hoping you pulled the rope. Planning to try to go get it in the next couple of weeks if no one pulls it during the Rendezvous.
    hank moon likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

That would be great.

Assuming you are familiar with the canyon, there is a two-bolt anchor about 40 feet below the step to the right onto the buttress. It seems you would just need to rap down to there and drop it... which I suspect is two ropes tied together.

(If you just happened to measure the length of what you find, that would be great).

Would be great to strip those bolts of any rigging, to make them as inconspicuous as possible. Also if you took pictures of the bolts. I am thinking they might be Royce Trappier bolts, which he stamped RT into the hangers.

Tom
  5. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I am familiar with it and if I end up getting it I will see if Royce marked his work. I am really hoping someone else gets to it first since it will be awhile before I can get in there and I am not a fan of the canyon.
  6. knott3d

knott3d

We would have pulled it but didn’t notice it until my partner was on the ground and I was half way down the last free hang rappel because the anchors aren’t really in view when doing the normal exit. I didn’t want to ascend, beers at the Lodge were calling my name haha

The canyon itself isn’t that great but the last couple rappels make it worth it in my opinion.
  7. knott3d

knott3d

Here is a picture of the stuck ropes. Looks like maybe they didn’t manage their ropes very well and they just got twisted up.

@ratagonia judging by the picture if you zoom in you can see the rappel side just above the free hang. The free hang portion looked about the same height of the normal 170 foot last rappel.

So who knows how much they cut off but if they had just enough rope for the rappel and got the pull up to the free hang that would be 150 right there and you still can’t see the knot tying the 2 ropes together meaning that is another 200 feet at least on the pull side.

This all doesn’t mean much but just from looking at the ropes I’d guess your 370 foot estimate is pretty dang close. But would it be possible the reason the anchor is 40 feet below the move to the peninsula is because it puts it just at 300? Or it there a good spot for it down there? I’ve done lodge twice but never remember to look.

Attached Files:

• C2F1C24D-D5BA-48CD-9609-FCD460798E8A.
      Filename:
      C2F1C24D-D5BA-48CD-9609-FCD460798E8A.jpeg
      File size:
      942.7 KB
      Views:
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have not really studied it myself, just heard a rumor it was longer than 300 feet. But ???????????????

Might have to bring a long rope next time and see how long it really is. I have not been down to that bolt station, so I don't know what it looks like from there. And of course, in my role as Captain Obvious, let me point out that IN the waterflow is often not the best place to put bolts / webbing / anchors.

Tom
  9. knott3d

knott3d

Hmmm now that I am looking closer at the picture and really zooming in on it it looks like the ropes just STOP right before going over the top edge and going out of sight. Maybe 30 feet before the free hang.

Almost like they are attached to an anchor right there. It’s hard to tell though. Maybe there are two rappel stations on that side of the peninsula??? From the top though it sure looks like a pretty straight drop so I don’t know. Interesting though.
  10. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I agree in with you conclusion that it is on another station there. I will likely hike in the bottom with binos and see whats going on with it. If it is just twisted and not knotted, I may be able to free it with a 5:1 if I can get the tail.
  11. knot impressed

knot impressed

@knott3d I'm going to be in Mystery on Monday. Since you just went through at nearly identical water conditions and temperatures, would you recommend packing wetsuits? 84°, sunny, low water. If anyone else has an opinion on that I would appreciate it.
  12. knott3d

knott3d

@CRNPRES let me know what you find out! I’m curious now.

@knot impressed I don’t think wetsuits are necessary especially if you end up at the spring around early afternoon. We didn’t take wetsuits either of the days and were just fine. You don’t get wet until close to the end of the canyon. A little chilly for a few minutes the first day cause we didn’t make it to the spring until like 5pm. If you are worried I’d rather carry an extra shirt in a dry bag than deal with a wetsuit.
    ratagonia likes this.