Send us a suggestion!

3 weeks, 14 canyons

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by RossK, Sep 15, 2018.

1. RossK

RossK

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle on the topic of identifying locations.
    When I go with people who ask for them not to be identified (or posted) I obviously honour their wishes. Hence some don't show up here.
    When I’m with people who don’t mind I tend to use my own judgement, usually based on how popular the places already are, how hard it is to get to them, and whether they could be damaged. For me this usually centres around if cryptobiotic soil & vegetation would be trampled into sand (more of an issue if there’s not one clear used official or unofficial trail to take all visitors) and if rock/ sandstone would be damaged eg thin fins & crusts. (although I know there are bolts/rope groove arguments).

Anyway steering clear of that debate, in these canyons my companions did not ask for anything to be kept secret - in fact none of these canyons are “secrets” - but I know others have concerns about some of these places so I thought I would post the pictures which hopefully people like, but not do a full descriptive TR.

They come from visiting around 15 canyons over 3 weeks (around half technical, but not very technical). The pictures are mixed up in no chronological order even over one day & include a few spots I can’t even remember seeing. Obviously some - but not all - are around lake Powell as there are a couple of shots from close to a boat. (And Antelope does not feature!)

The photographic quality varies as one DSLR was drowned in a boat, 2 compacts died slow deaths from chronic sand disease, and a new DSLR was bought after long battles with grudging insurance companies.

Even though the drowning didn't take place inside a canyon I now have to get fitter to carry about an extra 10lb worth of multiple drybags because I’m so worried about another DSLR suffering the same fate. (When i carried it though the canyoneeringusa keg has proved waterproof. Thanks @patagonia !)

From a TR point of view we met one snake, one dead carcass of I think a sheep, and an owl, and I shared my fun with around 25 wonderful people of whom I only knew 4 beforehand.

Two people were caught out by the forecast of dry weather when it rained all one night, leading one shivering man to get cosier with me in my 1 man tent than I usually do with my partner. A member of a later group learned the same harsh lesson when we got sand blasted and rain blasted.

I learned not to be lazy and not tie my laces when going to the bathroom in gloomy rainy conditions at night! And I discovered how a superbly-run camp is organised (these two things didn’t coincide if anyone from the impeccable camp is reading).

I learned canyoneers really are a wonderful top bunch of people (I still haven’t met one that rates as low as average!).

I learned keep every item of old unfashionable clothing in future because it will be in fashion as “canyon chic” - rather than rip up a Moreno shirt each day.

And I learned despite soaked passports or cellphones, no sleep, warnings of quicksand, logjams, freezing water, imperfect water levels or poor water flows (Grand Falls - obviously not a canyon day - was still worth the 4am alarm at 650cfs), 107 degree days, and weary legs after successive long days, still do NOT be put off - Go for it as the Desert is always stunning. (the flash flood warning being the one exception that did put us off).

When the last canyon was done, the next day I happened to take my favourite photo at a spot I had not plan to visit, so excuse me for indulging in the last photo here which has nothing to do with canyons.

When I look back at photos and read your answers to questions from people who are perhaps "more newbie" than me, I think a big thank you really should be express for the amazing generosity and kindness of people on sites like this (some of them very expert) in terms of time, advice, invites, and friendliness to complete strangers. Because of that, I’ve enjoyed many of the most wonderful, exciting, memorable & spectacular days of my life & hopefully will continue to do so

Screenshot 2018-09-04 01.36.39imp. .

9X2A7579imp2.

P1010292imp.

9X2A7588imp4.

9X2A7457imp3BEST.

9X2A7392imp.

webr.

fullsizeoutput_403imp.

P1010209imp.

P1010286imp.

9X2A7467imp2BEST.

9X2A7527imp.

P1010213imp.

P1010357imp2.

salome jug, arizona.

P1010217imp.

thumb_IMG_2195imp.

P1010338imp.

P1010263imp.

_MG_0762imp.

P1010208imp.

9X2A7479imp.

P1010307imp,306imp2 copy.

fullsizeoutput_3feimp.

9X2A6896smaller.

_MG_0786impcrop3.

Screenshot 2018-09-04 01.54.34imp.

9X2A7825imp2.

Attached Files:

• 9X2A7579imp2.jpg
      File size:
      7.6 MB
      Views:
    • 9X2A7467imp2BEST.
      Filename:
      9X2A7467imp2BEST.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  2. RossK

RossK

3. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Quite the adventure. Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing.
    RossK likes this.
  4. VillainousTurtle

VillainousTurtle

Great meeting you Ross, glad to see you had a good time and made so many memories.
    RossK likes this.