Send us a suggestion!

3 week tour of SE Utah

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Rachel_from_oz, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Rachel_from_oz

Rachel_from_oz

My husband Tom & I recently visited from Australia. Thanks to those who responded to my queries way back in January in my other post.

We spent 4 weeks in the US mainly canyoning (as we call it!), with a little bit of touristy stuff. We were slowed down a little as Tom broke his wrist 8 weeks before we were due to fly out - so we weren't even sure if we were going to get any canyoneering done. Fortunately the wrist came good but then he strained his foot on the second day, so we mainly did short-ish days. I've just finished going through my photos - below is a photo for each day we spent canyoneering (including some non-technical canyons). If you're interested in more photos and a full blown trip report check out http://grindlay.org/2017/10/utah-arizona-2017/

Day 1: Keyhole Canyon, Zion
    (Gotta remember how this canyoning this works... we've just come from winter, haven't done any canyons since April)
    IMG_1039.

Day 2: Deadeye Dick & Mighty Mouse, Zion
    IMG_1051.

Day 3: Diana's Throne, Zion
    IMG_1078.

Day 4: Kanarra Creek
    IMG_1105.

Day 5: Zebra & Tunnel Canyons, Escalante (everyone in the car park told us it was flooded/freezing/impossible to get through so we figured we'd take wetsuits... unnecessary!)
    IMG_1116.

Day 6: Eqypt 3, Escalante (very muddy & wet)
    IMG_1144.
    Day 7: Neon, Escalante
    IMG_1171.

Day 8: hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls
    Day 9: Upper Red Breaks, Escalante
    IMG_1199.

Day 10: Little Wild Horse & Bell, San Rafael Swell. According to all the other hikers we met this pool was "impossible" to stay dry in... nothing like a challenge :) Sadly I didn't capture the moment when the random lady walked under Tom's legs.
    IMG_1218.

Day 11: Baptist Draw & Upper Chute, San Rafael Swell
    IMG_1239.

Day 12: retreated to Moab and were tourists at Arches while the weather was inclement
    Day 13: not technically a canyon but we went hiking in the Fiery Furnace, Arches
    IMG_1281.
    Day 14: Elephant Butte, Arches with Evan (thanks!)
    IMG_1291.

Day 15: aborted Big Horn/Dragonfly, Arches due to electrical storm
    IMG_1325.
    Day 16: White Roost (East Fork), Robbers Roost, joined by Angela and Sam for a few days
    IMG_1350.

Day 17: after morning rain we finally hauled ourselves away from our fire and through Hog 2, North Wash
    IMG_1376.

Day 18: Monkey Business, North Wash
    IMG_1414.

Day 19: Morocco, North Wash + quality time at Stan's using the Wi-Fi trying to work out if we could meet up with Deeps (sadly the timing didn't work)
    IMG_1442.

Day 20: North Fork of Robbers Roost
    IMG_1473.

Day 21: Larry (couldn't get the car to Not Mindbender), Robbers Roost
    IMG_1481.

Day 22: Down Little West Fork of Blue John and up the Main Fork (ok, so maybe the photo is a bit gross... just trying to keep the selection varied)
    IMG_1522.

Day 23: Fry Canyon, Cedar Mesa (car couldn't get to Cheesebox)
    IMG_1563.

Day 24 & 25: Grand Canyon
    Day 26 & 27: Sedona
    Day 28: Fly home
  2. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Good on ya, mates...this looks like a very successful canyoning tour to the colorado plateau. Nice!! Great photos and great itinerary, and great back ups when your main canyon plans were interfered with by roads and nature
    Rachel_from_oz likes this.
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

Quite the smorgasbord - very impressive. Thanks for sharing!
  4. Erin

Erin

Oh my goodness! You guys accomplished more in a month than most people do in years! I hope you went home and just binge watched Netflix for a few days to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Great photos!
    Sounds like an extremely efficient trip. :twothumbs: