Send us a suggestion!

2 ring retrievable anchor system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wisconnyjohnny, Mar 26, 2019.

1. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Been looking at this setup for years but never had any use for it untill someone cleaned a route I do. Lost 60ft of webbing and a quick link thanks to the mystery hiker. Time to ghost and use the 2 ring retrievable. Worked great 3 times. Not so practical for use In a lot of situations where there are numerous things to snag on when pulling. Also using a 9mm rope for anchor pull you are initially battling to get rappel rope down as there’s not much room left in the small quicklink.
    straight forward set up if double stranding
    Video shows the pull.
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Or you could invest in a toggle of some kind, works in all the same situations as this system, and many where this one won't work.
    wisconnyjohnny and ratagonia like this.
  3. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

So I’ve only done that once with an experienced person. Been practicing the stone knot forever. So with that said come on down and go with me and I’ll set everything up under you’re guidance :)
    I’d say this was a basic confidence booster for me.
    Tom Collins likes this.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

Exactly. It's beyond me why anyone is using anything else. So simple. So effective. So unlikely to get stuck. So fast. So cheap. So good for preventing rope grooves.

The only real caution is to be very careful if you have to climb down below the stone knot to weight it or if you unweight it while rappelling.. Until it's weighted, the toggle is easily pulled out, even by the weight of a rope.
    wisconnyjohnny likes this.
  5. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Again no real battlefield experience nor anyone to surpervise. Canyoneers come from all walks of life and some can’t
    Afford cosmetic gear because isn’t that really what it is? A device/system that is easier on nature? It’s by no means safer than slung webbing around a tree.
    With that said I have money for beer and food if you’d like to come down and supervise me on my awesome sport gimmick route that has only been done 4 times now as far as I know! unless the old school has done it and is just keeping quiet.
    I’m gonna learn and get one myself when someone shows me and I get paid.
    hank moon likes this.
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

If you're only doing trade routes then aside from the rope grooving issue it is kind of a gimmick. If you start exploring or doing rarely done routes however, then its much faster to tie a stone knot and use a toggle as opposed to cutting webbing for each drop, cheaper too once you add in the cost of webbing and rapides.
    Tirrus and ratagonia like this.
  7. garthkevin1

garthkevin1

Great video,luckily the cig did not burn the rope. I thought that was old school anchor knowledge

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
  8. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

A locking QuickDraw between the two holes in a Smooth Operator allow a fully protected transition over an edge, and a lightweight 2-3mm dyneema pullcord nearly eliminates the rope weight issue.
  9. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

You should post a photo! I obviously know what you mean but a photo would be good for the community. I am out of town and my smooth operator is hanging in my garage.

I think this should be taught as part of the operation of the stick, it is so much cleaner than no protection on it or locking biners to the rope itself.
  10. Canyonero

Canyonero

Good idea on the quickdraw. I wish I was that smart.

300 feet of dyneema blowing in the wind below you and an unweighted stone knot will demonstrate where the "nearly" comes in!
  11. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Guess I never added a photo with quickdraw

[​IMG]