Send us a suggestion!

2 rescued - stuck on ledge in pit

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Kuenn, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Kuenn

Kuenn

I hesitated to post this, but maybe there is something to be learned here, or at least a good head shaker as you get the week started.

The video clip and article are a bit misleading. This is not a well per se, it is a pit that is called Natural Well, located in Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville, AL. Because of its locale there have been more than a few tyro rescues over the years.

Our group encountered a similar situation about a year ago when a couple rapped down the same pit and asked one of our people on bottom, while holding out his frog system, "Do you know how this works?". They were not offered the luxury of a rescue that day...nor would I have these two yahoos last week. Any parent knows - cleaning up after your child is self-defeating.

Excerpt:
    HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -
    Two men were rescued after being trapped 150 feet underground on Monte Sano, according to rescue workers.

Authorities said the men were sport rappelling Thursday near Panorama Drive when they got stuck on a ledge inside a natural well 225 feet deep.

Natural Well2.

Natural Well.
    Ram likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Uh... no mention of why they got stuck? I'm kinda assuming they rappelled in and... didn't have a plan for getting back out. Where's the stairs, man?

Tom
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

Whether they had gear and didn't know how to use it or their plan was to hand-over-hand it (don't laugh, it's been tried there before), I haven't heard officially. The fact that they stopped on the ledge, which is still 45' from the bottom, kinda points to being in way over your head and deciding to stop at first op...but then, there were two of them...who knows what deductive reasoning drives the loony! :confused:
  4. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Elevators busted, gotta go out the hard way.