Send us a suggestion!

2 groups rescued from Subway - October 28, 2015

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by hank moon, Oct 28, 2015.

1. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Rescuers help 4 out-of-state visitors lost in Zion

ZION NATIONAL PARK – Two groups of people from two different states were helped from The Subway in Zion National Park Monday night after losing their way, joining forces and calling for help.

The first call was received at 9:15 p.m., Darrell Cashin, Washington County Sheriff’s deputy and search and rescue liaison, said.

A 53-year-old man and 47-year-old woman from Ohio had lost their way while hiking in the area. A 60-year-old man and his son, both of New Jersey, also became lost while hiking.

The two groups did not know each other, although they had met briefly on the trail in the morning and then parted ways.

More: http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...get-lost-join-forces-are-rescued-from-subway/
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

Good job SAR. Thanks for spending a miserable night out to help those of us who get in over our heads. Who knows if that will ever be me? Always glad to hear of a happy ending.
    Relentlesshiker and Rapterman like this.
  3. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

First time navigation into the Subway is tricky IMO! Stopping and calling for help is much better than falling off a cliff.
    Rapterman and Kevin like this.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

I think it's a little trickier to get into it than out of it. I'm always surprised to hear how many people walk right past the exit trail. This is the first time I recall someone cutting up early. I can't think of anyplace that looks attractive to hike up that hill DCR before the exit trail.
    Rapterman and spinesnaper like this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

There is a trail that heads up to the right about 3/4 of the way down. Called an old sheep trail by some, heads up to Pine Valley.

Most beta things say hike down the canyon about 2 hours. Some people don't get all that far in two hours.

I have checked out past the exit trail and have to say, you would have to work very hard to think you are still on the right path. The social trails past the exit pretty much disappear, and it is Kip-quality bushwhackery from there.

Tom
    spinesnaper likes this.
  6. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

I found the entry and exit both to be straightforward. YMMV.
    Deagol likes this.
  7. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

The issue is that for many first time Subway travelers, this may be their first off trail excursion.
    asierrafatty and Mountaineer like this.
  8. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Ran into a couple last year near where the trail crests at the top and not too far to the parking lot. They were wide eyed and darn glad to see humans. Happy to follow us to the car. They seemed to have little idear how we knew where to go, which, I think was kinda funny. Not everyone can follow a well defined social trail I'm guessing...!

Mighta left his wet shoes at the parking lot. I've been fishin' in them. New balance hiking shoes. Pretty nice for wading.