Send us a suggestion!

12 canyons in 10 days

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Zach T, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Zach T

Zach T

We just did a trip to Utah where we completed Egypt 1, Egypt 1.5, Red Breaks, Morocco, Boss Hog, Hogwarts, West fork of Blarney, East fork of Leprechaun, Black Hole of White Canyon, Zero Gravity, Sad Cow Disease, and Yankee Doodle Hollow. We had wanted to do more in the SRS but the high temperatures led us to change our original plans. During our first attempt at the Black Hole, we found the canyon flooded with what we estimated to be waist deep moving water at the start of the canyon from rains the night before and so had to abort and reattempt several days laters. When we returned, the conditions were fine and the water temperature was actually pleasant and probably in the 60-65 F range. By far, the scariest part of the trip was the exit out of the Hog system up the drainage. Yikes. We made a sand bollard anchor in Egypt 1.5 for one of the downclimbs that required a dynamic move neither of us were comfortable with. The anchor worked for us but we stopped by Excursions of Escalante on our way out of the area to let them know we had placed the anchor at that location and suggested removing it (free brand new 15' of black webbing and rapide for anyone that wants it). Definitely a marginal anchor. Not sure if we handled that situation correctly.
    Kevin C likes this.
  2. Teeters

Teeters

Nice list! How were conditions in Black Hole? It sounds like you had high water but I wanted to see if I should expect any potholes if I were to go soon.

And yeah I heard the Hog exit was sketch! We had a large group go down Boss Hog and about half of my group opted to go back to camp using that drainage while me and the others lapped and did a different Hog. We exited out the upclimb between Boss Hog and Hog 3 (?) and it was no issue...they told me that drainage was sketchy but I had no idea how bad it was! Good times.
  3. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

No pics?
  4. Zach T

Zach T

Conditions at the Black Hole were probably about as good as they get as of a week and a half ago. No potholes, only a couple spots with fetid vegetation and sticks, everything was easily downclimbable. We took cheap pool floaties which worked quite well. Slippery mud was ubiquitous. We took what I think was the Kelsey exit up what looked like the first opportunity to exit which involved some 5.4-5.7 climbing. Cool water was nice with temps in high 90s.

Wish I had known about the alternate Hog exit. Scary stuff. Glad we made it out before dark.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

Good decision. That would have been a terrifying trip.
    Zach T likes this.