Send us a suggestion!

1 Month in Utah in May - Beginner Technical Slots?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wildebeard, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Wildebeard

Wildebeard

Greetings, folks. I'll be spending a month dirtbagging around southern Utah come May, and I'd welcome suggestions for beginner technical slots.

Context: I've done a lot of backpacking, but I enjoyed some canyons I did in UT/AZ last year so friggin' much that I'm gravitating in that direction. I've been through some non-technical slots in and around Escalante (e.g., Red Breaks, and Buckskin Gulch w/ a wetsuit, etc.), so there's a *wee* bit of xp. To ameliorate that, I'll first be taking a multiday technical canyoneering course from an ACA-certified instructor. After that, I've got lots of weeks to hit up whatever.

I don't want to hit up a slot that's deadly for noobs, even with training. I'm not out for the adrenaline rush, just to explore cooler canyons. So I figured I'd ask the experienced around here for suggestions. I'm open to anything in Escalante, San Rafael, Robbers Roost, North Wash, Cedar Mesa, and Moab-area. I loved Escalante, so anything there would be a plus.

Cheers, all.

- W
    wisconnyjohnny and Tom Collins like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Sorry this got ignored. Bad timing, I guess. Still relevant?

I think the problem is that there is too much to say. So hard to say what would be appropriate... best idea is to hook up with other people and, in addition to taking a class focused on technical skills, learning by actually doing with people that are experienced.

Tom
    wisconnyjohnny and John Styrnol like this.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I'm open to anything in Escalante, San Rafael, Robbers Roost, North Wash, Cedar Mesa, and Moab-area.

Places like North Wash are getting pretty hot and the gnats are bad.

I loved Escalante, so anything there would be a plus.

Maybe try Spencer/Metro or Davis Gulch.

In the Roost, Main Fork Bluejohn might be good. Moonshine or the Three Canyon complex as well.

In the Cedar Mesa area, Short Canyon or if you have a wetsuit, the Black Hole. Maybe Fry.

I don't want to hit up a slot that's deadly for noobs, even with training.

Any canyon can be deadly if you screw up. People have died in easy canyons.

I agree with Tom. Go with someone experienced.
  4. Canyonguypat

Canyonguypat

I'd vote cedar mesa, especially if you have the clearance. Gravel, cheesebox, fry, black hole will likely all have some water and are great solo beginner canyons. Duckett and Short can round out a day in the area. Zero G, Fooling around, and Trail should also be nice that time of year in the North wash area.. If you're into backpacking a loop down deaths hollow and up the ridgeline between sand creek and DH is an awesome 3 to 4 day trip, wetsuit recommended for the cold intolerant.
  5. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Opinions vary, but I would not send a beginner solo down Cheesebox. There were a few muddy downclimbs when I did it that could be trouble. Same for Ducket and Short. Haven't done Gravel, so no comment there.
  6. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny Lagargar pockets

wish i would have seen this earlier as well. There's so much to choose from in northwash. Escalante is home so there are great 3AI here that i'll always go back to again and again.!