Send us a suggestion!

‘Cliffed out’ hundreds of feet up; man rescued in Zion National Park

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by joeb, May 11, 2017.

1. joeb

joeb middle aged guy who lies around alot

Looks like the summer tourist season has officially started :help:

ZION NATIONAL PARK – A man was rescued Tuesday night after hikers heard him yelling for help from a precarious perch on a cliff several hundred feet above the Weeping Rock Trail in Zion National Park.

[​IMG]
    Observation Point in Zion National Park | Image courtesy of Google Maps, St. George News
    Park dispatch received a report of a person stuck on a cliff at 2:39 p.m., park spokesman John Marciano said.

“It was a male in his 20s who went off trail at Observation Point,” Marciano said, “and when he couldn’t get back up (he) just kept down-climbing until he became stuck on a ledge at the mouth of Observation Canyon.”

http://stgnews.com/news/archive/201...of-feet-up-man-rescued-in-zion-national-park/
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

3. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

"That trail goes pretty far out of the way, there's gotta be a shortcut here somewhere."

Glad he managed not to get himself hurt or killed.
    AW~ likes this.
  4. LonePeak

LonePeak

Yeah, that picture just makes me want to follow his path a little further. Anyone got an ultralight 1000 ft rope? That's about the height Google Earth indicates the sheer cliff above the Virgin to be. Observation canyon was fun, but somehow I think this would be more stimulating.
  5. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

So I think what they (SAR) did was Lower Echo, get to the finish, and go sideways?

Neato.
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

From the article, very hard to say where he actually was. Could be almost anywhere on that mountain side. Not many places that do not require VERY LONG ropes.

T
  7. Chris Walden

Chris Walden

I wonder why he thought continuing to down-climb was going to work out for him...
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia